Getting repairs done is one of the most common enquiries to the Housing Rights advice line. It is a topic which causes a lot of distress for tenants in the private rented and social rented sectors; especially when repairs are delayed or not addressed at all.
The problems with repairs include:
- Determining who is actually responsible for carrying out the repairs i.e. is it the landlord or tenant who is responsible?
- How can that responsibility be enforced?
- What are the remedies?
In addressing the above issues this resource will look at:
- The role of the tenancy agreement in determining repair responsibilities;
- Statutory default repair obligations;
- Response times for repairs;
- Enforcing repair obligations, including the role of fitness and public health legislation and Environmental Health;
- Complaining about repairs.