Total: £0.00

picture of telephone  click icon for access to housing law in practice reference manual for membersMailing ListTwitterFacebook  YouTube

When everyone has a home

028 9024 5640: Housing & Debt Helpline for Northern Ireland

Housing Benefit transitional payment for Universal Credit claimants

Back in November 2017, Chancellor for the Exchequer, Phillip Hammond, announced a £1.5 billion package to address some of the concerns which have been raised in relation to Universal Credit. One of the main measures introduced was the concept of a “Housing Benefit transitional payment for Universal Credit claimants”.

The regulations which introduce this Housing Benefit “run-on” were laid before Parliament on 17 April 2018 and will not come into operation until 8 May 2018. However, in Northern Ireland, extra statutory approval was given to allow the payment of Housing Benefit to continue for two weeks after a claim for Universal Credit has been made from the 11 April 2018.

Transitional Payment for Universal Credit claimants

This change means claimants who have been receiving Housing Benefit immediately prior to claiming Universal Credit would receive a transitional payment of two weeks housing benefit “run-on” when they claim Universal Credit, without it affecting Universal Credit entitlement. The claimant will receive both the housing benefit and the Universal Credit housing element for those 2 weeks.

It has been confirmed that where housing benefit is paid directly to the landlord, the double payment will be offset against rent arrears and any surplus would be returned to the claimant. It is hoped that these measures will reduce the potential for rent arrears to accrue as claimants transition onto Universal Credit.

Find out more about the Universal Credit

Housing Rights have lots of training courses coming up to help you learn about the impact of Universal Credit on housing in Northern Ireland.

You can book training online or email training@housingrights.org.uk


Tagged In

Benefits, Money Matters, Welfare Reform, Affordability


Sarah Corrigan

This article was written on 3 May 2018. It should not be relied on as a statement of the current law or policy position. For help with housing issues please contact our helpline on 028 9024 5640 or use our online chat service at www.housingadviceNI.org.