Total: £0.00

picture of telephone  click icon for access to housing law in practice reference manual for membersMailing ListTwitterFacebook  YouTube

When everyone has a home

028 9024 5640: Housing & Debt Helpline for Northern Ireland

Housing Mediation Service

Housing Rights is piloting Northern Ireland’s first housing mediation service for the private rented sector. The service is funded by the Department for Communities and will provide an alternative way to resolve disputes in the sector.

The Housing Mediation Service is free and is open to:

  • Tenants
  • Registered Landlords
  • Letting agents
  • Housing associations operating in the sector

The service can help with many kinds of disputes including:

  • Property standards
  • Repairs
  • Entry rights
  • Rent/rates arrears
  • Unprotected tenancy deposits,
  • Threatened evictions
  • Breach of tenancy terms
  • Noise/Anti-social behaviour

When both parties in the dispute have agreed to take part in mediation an independent mediator with specialist housing knowledge helps the parties talk about their dispute and come to a solution that works for everyone.

Accessing the service

Contact the service by

Hear from those who have used the service

Landlord Jason who was referred to Housing Mediation

David Carson, a private renter who rented his home via UPS, and Anthony Haylett, branch manager at UPS

Landlord Joan whose relationship with her tenant Mary was breaking down

Tenant Shiela who used the Housing Mediation service.

Beryl, a tenant who got a proposed increase in rent reduced