Skip to main content

Search Housing Rights

Social tenants' rights

You're a social tenant if you rent your home from a housing association or the Housing Executive. Find out about your rights, responsibilities and making changes to your tenancy. 

In this section

Social tenants' rights and responsibilities

If you rent from the Housing Executive or a housing association, you have a social tenancy. It’s important to understand your rights and responsibilities as a social tenant. 

Changing your tenancy

Over time you might want to make changes to your social tenancy. This could include adding someone to your tenancy or passing it on to a family member.  

For most changes, you must get your landlord’s permission beforehand.  

Swapping homes

If you're a social tenant you can apply to swap homes with another secure tenant in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Learn how it works and see if it's a good option for you.