Skip to main content

Search Housing Rights

Ending your social tenancy

If you decide to end your social tenancy, make sure you follow the proper process.

Ending your social tenancy

If you decide to end your tenancy, make sure you follow the proper process. Ending your tenancy is different from eviction. Your social landlord must follow the legal process if they want to evict you.

Ending a tenancy is also different from:

Giving notice to your social landlord

If you want to move out, you need to give your landlord written notice to end your tenancy.  

To do this properly, you must: 

  • give notice four weeks before you want to leave 
  • ask your housing officer who to send the notice to and how  
  • write to your landlord to give notice that you’re ending your tenancy 

You are responsible for the property until your tenancy officially ends. This means you must: 

  • keep paying rent, even if you move out before it ends 
  • continue taking care of the property 

The Housing Executive can ban you from social housing for two years if someone moves in illegally during this time.  

Your landlord can let other people in to view the property after you’ve given them notice. 

Ending a joint tenancy 

A joint tenancy means you are named on the tenancy agreement along with someone else. You both have equal rights as tenants. If either of you gives notice to end the tenancy, this ends the tenancy for both of you.  

For example, if you split up with your partner and they give notice, the tenancy ends for both of you. If you want to stay in your home, you need to check if the tenancy can pass on to you. sort out a new contract with your landlord. 

Return your keys 

You must give your keys back to the landlord by noon on the last day of your tenancy. Talk to your landlord about how to return your keys. Ask for a receipt to prove you returned the keys. 

You still need to pay rent until the end of your tenancy, even if you give the keys back earlier.  

Get compensation for improvements you made

You may be able to get paid for some improvements you made to the property. You can get paid for materials and skilled labour you used to improve your home in certain ways.  

To be eligible you must have: 

  • had your landlord’s permission to make improvements 
  • made improvements worth more than £50 
  • made the improvements after 29 July 2003 

You can get compensated for things like: 

  • installing a new bath, shower or kitchen sink 
  • replacing windows or adding double glazing 
  • draughtproofing outside doors or windows 
  • insulating pipes, water tanks or cylinders 
  • insulating a cavity wall or loft 
  • electrical rewiring 
  • adding electrical sockets, lighting or smoke alarms 

Talk to your landlord about getting compensation when you give notice.

You can claim compensation: 

  • in the 28 days before you move out, or 
  • within two weeks of moving out 

You cannot get compensated if you swapped, abandoned, or were evicted from your tenancy. 

Was this page helpful?
We are so happy you found the information you need! Tell us why you found this page useful, so we can keep improving our service...

We're sorry you did not find this page useful. Please take a moment to tell us why so we can keep improving our service.

We cannot reply to questions on this page. If you need housing advice, speak to an adviser.


Report a problem with this page

Help us improve

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.