Skip to main content

Search Housing Rights

Applying for a transfer

If you're a social tenant, you can apply for a transfer and move to another property owned by a social landlord. Learn how transfers work and see if it's an option for you.

This information is for Housing Executive and housing association tenants, also called social tenants. 

A transfer is when you move to another property owned by a social landlord. Once you apply for a transfer, you're on the transfer list. Your chance of getting a transfer depends on:

  • how many points you have, and
  • how popular your areas of choice are

Learn how to apply for a transfer and other transfer options.

Applying for a transfer

You can apply for a transfer if you:

  • are renting a home from a social landlord, and
  • have lived in your home for at least two years

If you have not lived in your home for two years or more, you could still transfer if you:

  • pass the homelessness assessment
  • have other homeless points
  • need to move for health, safety or social reasons
  • live in shared housing 
  • cannot afford your rent and heating costs
  • could benefit from a transfer and your landlord agrees

To apply for a transfer, you can either:

After you apply, your landlord will decide whether to put you on the transfer list. It's hard to predict how long you'll need to wait for a transfer. If your points are low, or your areas of choice are very popular, you may have to wait a long time for a transfer.

Reasons you may not be able to transfer

Your landlord can refuse your application to transfer if you:

  • owe more than four weeks' rent
  • left your home in a bad state 
  • owe your landlord money for damages
  • broke the terms of your tenancy agreement

If you live in Great Britain, you cannot transfer to Northern Ireland. You can either:

Management transfers

Some housing associations or Housing Executive tenants might qualify for a ‘management transfer’. 

A management transfer is a type of transfer that allows social landlords flexibility to decide how to best use available properties.  

A tenant with management transfer status may be allocated a property even if another transfer applicant has more points. 

A management transfer could be an option if: 

  • you passed the homelessness assessment 
  • you have intimidation points 
  • someone in your household needs adapted housing, or  
  • you live in adapted housing, and you don’t need this type of housing  
  • your home is due to get major repairs, be demolished or redeveloped 
  • transferring could help sort out a neighbourhood dispute that is getting worse 
  • you have a district heating debt and a transfer would stop the debt from increasing

Your housing officer can offer management transfers in certain cases. For example, if there is a property ready that meets your specific needs.

You can ask your housing officer if a management transfer is an option for you. 

Was this page helpful?
We are so happy you found the information you need! Tell us why you found this page useful, so we can keep improving our service...

We're sorry you did not find this page useful. Please take a moment to tell us why so we can keep improving our service.

We cannot reply to questions on this page. If you need housing advice, speak to an adviser.


Report a problem with this page

Help us improve

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.