Skip to main content

Search Housing Rights

Complaining about repairs in social housing

Do not stop paying rent, even if you're not happy with how your landlord is handling things. Get advice if your landlord isn't completing repairs.

This information is for Housing Executive and housing association tenants, also called social tenants. 

Do not stop paying rent, even if you're not happy with how your landlord is handling things. Your landlord could evict you.

You can complain to the Housing Executive if:

  • they are not repairing things 
  • you’re not happy with how they did a repair
  • you feel they’re not treating you well

You can submit two complaints to your local Housing Executive office. This is called the ‘internal complaints process.’ Some people call the two complaints, the ‘first’ and ‘second stage.’

Complaining to the Ombudsman

If you finished the internal complaints process and are not happy with the results, you can complain to the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman makes sure that public organisations provide fair and efficient services.

You can submit your complaint online.     

The Ombudsman has information about the kind of complaints they handle. After you complain, the Ombudsman will investigate. They may want to talk to you about the problem. They’ll let you know if they decide to investigate the complaint and follow up with a recommendation if they find the organisation treated you unfairly.

Was this page helpful?
We are so happy you found the information you need! Tell us why you found this page useful, so we can keep improving our service...

We're sorry you did not find this page useful. Please take a moment to tell us why so we can keep improving our service.

We cannot reply to questions on this page. If you need housing advice, speak to an adviser.


Report a problem with this page

Help us improve

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.